Ah, it was becoming a lich. It’s a tempting prospect for some DnD 5E players due to the eternal life and unmatched arcane power they stand to gain. But before we delve deep into that, let’s establish what exactly a lich is.
A lich, in the dark and mystical world of Dungeons & Dragons, is an incredibly powerful undead spellcaster who has chosen to cheat death by way of dark necromancy. In essence, they are wizards who refuse to succumb to the tyranny of mortality.
That said, let me stress that this path isn’t for everyone; the allure is strong but quite twisted. Becoming a Lich means walking graciously — somewhat raucously — into immortality, where you are clothed with tremendous power and feared by many. Now that you know what lies ahead, let’s take our first stride toward understanding how one becomes a Lich.
Also Read: Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos
Understanding the Nature and Abilities of a Lich
As a devout adventurer in the mystical and mysterious world of DnD 5E, I have always found Liches to command an interesting blend of fear and respect.
In essence, a Lich is an accomplished spellcaster who has chosen to shun the mortal coil through the practice of necromancy, effectively becoming undead. Accursed yet undeniably awe-inspiring, these aren’t your typical garden variety skeletons- they are sentient beings with volition and incalculable arcane power.
A key characteristic that defines a Lich’s nature is their unwavering pursuit of immortality, and alongside this immortality comes indomitable willpower and dreadful magic capabilities. Fearless due to their undead status, they can operate outside the confines of mortal fears – death is no hindrance; it’s rather a weapon in disguise.
As far as abilities go, I cannot stress enough how formidable liches can be! They possess advanced wizard spells (read: terrifyingly destructive spells), exceptional knowledge covering myriad domains (such fun having all that wisdom!), frightening physical resistance (imagine being immune to mundane weaponry), not forgetting their infamous Paralyzing Touch.
Taken together, this paints a terrifying picture for your foes while providing you with seemingly limitless possibilities on both offense and defense.
The Pre-requisites for Becoming a Lich
In the world of Dungeons & Dragons, few ambitions are darker or more daunting than the quest for lichdom. This macabre transformation is sought after by only the most power-hungry and ambitious spellcasters.
But what does it truly take to shrug off mortality and enter the ranks of these feared undying sorcerers?
- First and foremost, you need a high-level character. We’re talking about level 17 or higher here. This is important because, well, becoming a Lich isn’t exactly a walk in the park. You’ll need all the power you can get.
- Secondly, your character must be specialized in the School of Necromancy. This particular school focuses on manipulating the energies of life and death, which is quite crucial since becoming a Lich essentially involves mastery over death itself.
- It’s also widely accepted among seasoned DnD players that your character must be inherently evil or at least heavily leaning toward such alignments to become a Lich. Remember that lichdom is often associated with unfathomable evil deeds – it’s not for those with hearts of gold.
- The next requirement would be the ‘Book of Vile Darkness,’ an infamous artifact within the DnD universe that holds dark secrets and spells necessary to pull off becoming a Lich.
- Last but certainly not least, we have material components essential for the ritual part: possession of ‘Phylactery’ (where you will store your soul) and brewing ‘the Potion of Transformation’ (no easy feat) using exotic ingredients like belladonna and arsenic kissed by an immortal upon moonlight – or something equally as ominous sounding!
Fair warning, though: Securing these prerequisites alone doesn’t guarantee success – you’ll still need to survive what’s coming next – The Transformation Process!
The Transformation Process
Now, let’s talk about the transformation. Once you’ve secured all the prerequisites, here’s a step-by-step guideline on how to finally transform yourself into a terrifying Lich.
Crafting Your Phylactery
Your phylactery is where your soul will reside post-transformation. It can be any object but choose wisely as this item will become your only tether to existence.
Writing Your True Name
This is one of the most pivotal steps in becoming a lich – inscribing your true name onto the phylactery in magical script. This ties your soul to it permanently.
Brewing The Potion of Transformation
I’m not going to sugarcoat it – this is possibly the trickiest part of all! You’ll need some particularly rare ingredients: poison from an entity that has existed for at least 1,111 years, two pints of blood from an innocent killed by betrayal, and powdered bones from various monsters, among others!
Drinking The Potion and binding Soul To Phylactery
After brewing that gruesome potion properly, drink it without delay and perform a dark ritual (or spell) tying your soul directly into phylactery!
But beware – there are risks involved! If you mess up even once during these steps or if someone interferes with your ritual/plans, all may be lost instantly, including potential “true” death, and various curses haunt forevermore…
Despite these risks, though…isn’t it somewhat exciting? A high-stakes gamble for achieving immortality – Seriously speaking, isn’t that precisely what makes Dungeons & Dragons so darn exhilarating?!
Tips for Playing as a Lich
- Embrace your new status as an undead: As a Lich, you’re no longer vulnerable to the ailments that affect the living. Use this newfound luxury to your advantage and remember things like sleep, food, and breath are no longer necessities.
- Utilize your immortality: Your existence now stretches into endless years. Take advantage of this freedom by planning long-term strategies that living characters can’t afford.
- Master your phylactery: The phylactery is both your greatest strength and biggest vulnerability. Protect it at all costs; consider investing in traps or protective magic to guard it. Remember where you’ve hidden it – losing track of it can be dangerous.
- Make use of your spellcasting abilities: Being a Lich gives you access to powerful magic abilities which should not be taken lightly. Get familiar with these spells quickly – they’ll come in handy when in a dire situation.
- Build alliances but trust no one: Allies can certainly make life (or unlife) easier, but never forget that power attracts envy — even from friends. Keep them close, but always stay on guard.
Remember, becoming a lich is not just changing classes—it’s choosing an entirely new way of existing within the realm of DnD 5E! I wish you a great fortune on this thrilling journey! May it introduce extraordinary elements into your epic adventures!
Also Read: Player Statistics for D&D: Latest Forecast
Frequently Asked Questions
What level should I be to become a Lich in DnD 5E?
To turn into a Lich, your character would typically need to be of an advanced level – at least Level 17 is often recommended for this transformation.
Can any class become a Lich?
In the standard rules, only certain classes with high magical abilities, like Wizards and Necromancers, can aspire to achieve this dark transformation.
What are the key abilities of a Lich in DnD 5E?
The powers and abilities are vast! They include immortality, spellcasting, the ability to summon undead minions and control over souls, among others.
Are there any downsides to becoming a Lich?
While becoming a lich offers tremendous power and immortality, it also comes with its share of challenges, such as vulnerability to divine magic and losing their humanity.
How can my character maintain their Lich form?
The lich must feed souls into its phylactery regularly; failure results in the lich’s strength deteriorating or ultimately fading away.
As we wrap things up, it’s my hope that this guide has provided you with the valuable knowledge you need for your journey to becoming a Lich in DnD 5E. Remember, the transformation process might be daunting, but the end result – obtaining immortality and unspeakable power – gives a unique twist to an already thrilling game.
As you embark on this thrilling adventure to take on the infamous role of Lich in DnD 5E, remember that patience and strategic thinking are your best allies. Make sure you fully understand your new abilities and how best to use them before stepping onto any battlefield.
In conclusion, transforming into a Lich is not a path for every player, but for those drawn toward darkness and power—it’s an unbeatable choice. Let your desire for knowledge guide your way towards mastery of arcane magic so that even in death, you may live on as an ultra-powerful undead being!